In the past the natives of The Nilgiri’s had their own well recognized paths, passed and tracks to end from the plains below. The first European to set foot on the hills Father Finicio claimed up the Sundapatti pass from Mulli to Melur in 1602. The track was later named Sullivans gate after he improved it around 1826. Roads which are not classified as panchayat, village or than roads with reference to their location either in the village panchayats or the town panchayats notified under the Tamilnadupanchayat act 1958. Now the Highways and Rural works Department is incharge of planning design construction and maintenance of roads and bridges in Tamilnadu. The Nilgiri Mountain Railway was opened for traffic only up to Coonoor from Mettupalayan in june 1899, and was managed by a British firm the Madras Railway Company under an agreement with the Government of Madras, it was later extended to Ootacamund. The Nilgiri mountain railway is the most Authentic and original rack and adhesion railway in the World.