Author : Wankyrshan Rymbai 1
Date of Publication :18th March 2021
Abstract: Ecopedagogy is a critical environmental pedagogy which focuses on understanding the connections between social interaction and environmentally harmful acts carried out by humans. It provides students with an opportunity to critically examine an environmental problem and devise solutions to these problems. The objective of the present study is to investigate the effectiveness of ecopedagogy on pro-environmental behaviour of pre-service D.El.Ed. student-teachers in Meghalaya. An experimental method was employed with a pre-test post-test control group design. The sample of the study consisted of 190 student-teachers. Descriptive and inferential statistics were used for analysing the data. The finding indicated an improvement in the levels of pro-environmental behaviour of student-teachers after the exposured to ecopedagogy and existence of a significant difference in the effectiveness of ecopedagogy on pro-environmental behaviour of student-teachers of the experimental group. The study recommends the integration of ecopedagogy in the teaching-learning process to facilitate positive environmental behaviour and consciousness among student-teachers.
- BCSLDE. (2020). Ecopedagog. Retrieved from Bulgarian Center for Sustainable Local Development and Ecopedagogy: https://bcslde.org/?page_id=17
- Grigorov, S. K., & Fleuri, R. M. (2012). Ecopedagogy:educating for a new eco-social intercultural perspective. Visao Global,Joacaba, 15(1- 2), 433-454. Retrieved August 16, 2019, from http;//academic.edu/ Documents/in/Ecopedagogy
- Herreria, A. F., Rodriguez, F. M., & Norat, M. D. (2016). Ecopedagogy: A Movement between Critical Dialogue and Complexity:Proposal for a Categories System. Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 10(1), 178-195. Retrieved May 21, 2020, from https://www.esdtaiwan.edu.tw/upload
- K'Odhiambo, A. K. (2017). Analysis of Ecopedagogy: Prescription to seal lacuna in Environmental Education Curriculum for young learners in Kenya. International Education & Research Journal, 3(4), 70-74. Retrieved January 10, 2020, from http://ierj.in/journal/index.php/ierj/article/view/810/779
- Krajhanzl, J. (2010). Environmental and Proenvironmental Behaviour. School and Health, 21, 251-273. Retrieved May 25, 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 265508352_Environmental_and_Proenvironmental_Behavior
- Lee, T. H., Jan, F. H., & Yang, C. C. (2013). Conceptualizing and measuring environmentally responsible behaviours from the perspective of community-based tourists. Tourism Management, 36, 454-468.
- Napitupulu, N. D., & Munandar, A. (2017). The Effects of Inquiry Based Ecopedagogy Model on PreService Physics Teachers’ Motivation and Achievement in Environmental Physics Instruction. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1-7. doi:doi.org/10.1063/1.4983972
- Science for Environment Policy. (2012, May 31). Four key techniques to encouraging pro-environmental behaviour. Science for Environment Polocy, p. 1. Retrieved 2020, from https://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/ research/newsalert/pdf/286na3_en.pdf
- Steg, L., & Vlek, C. (2009). Encouraging proenvironmental behaviour: An integrative review and research agenda. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 29, 309-317. doi:DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvp.2008.10.004
- Verret, C. (2012, March 1). Ecopedagogy. Retrieved October 10, 2019, from Neoliberalism and Education: neoliberalismeducation.pbwork.com >page>Ecopedagogy