Author : Dhananjaiah T M 1
Date of Publication :15th July 2020
Abstract: Medicinal plant-like Cynodon dactylon has been used for millenary years in folk medicines and still have considerable value in the area of ethnomedicine. Prior to the study of the medicinal importance of the sample, identification of the plant sample as Cynodon dactylon was essential, which was done using the DNA barcoding technique, with the primer rbcl. DNA barcoding is the process of identification of species based on nucleotide diversity of short DNA segments. Investigation of this medicinal Durva plant shows that it harbors a wide variety of endophytes. Endophytes are widely distributed in nature and portray a balanced symbiotic continuum ranging from mutualism to parasitism in the course of a long period of co-evolution with contrasting kinds of ecological functions. Endophytic fungi from plants are exceptionally substantial due to the presence of certain novel bioactive compounds that bears promising application in the fields of agriculture, medicine and food industry. The identification of endophytic fungi present in the plant Cynodon dactylon was performed using the DNA barcoding technique. The paper also expounds on screening of the different kinds of extracellular enzymes secreted by the endophytic fungi isolated and identified.
- Mishra MP. Succession of fungi and their ecomicrobial involvement in the decay of C. Dactylon Pers. Ph.D. Thesis. 2006. p.14-21. https://innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ijpps/a rticle/view/1464.
- Animesh DK, Rita P, Aninda M. An updated overview on Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2012;3:11-4
- Dhar ML, Dhawan JT, Melhrotra M. Screening of Indian plants for biological activity. Ind J Exp Biol 1968;16:232-47
- Auddy B, Ferreira M, Blasina F, Lafon L, Arredondo F, Dajas F. Screening of antioxidant activity of three Indian medicinal plants, traditionally used for the management of neurodegenerative diseases. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;84:131-8.
- Vijayalakshmi K, Jananie RK, Priya V. Determination of bioactive components of Cynodon dactylon by GCMS analysis. N Y Sci J 2011;4:16-20.
- Valentini, A., Pompanon, F., & Taberlet, P. (2009). DNA barcoding for ecologists. Trends In Ecology & Evolution, 24(2), 110-117. doi: 10.1016/j.tree.2008.09.011
- Hebert PD, Cywinska A, Ball SL, deWaard JR (2003). "Biological identifications through DNA barcodes". Proceedings. Biological Sciences. 270 (1512): 313–21.
- Vijayan Kunjupillai and Chih Hua Tsou, DNA barcoding in plants: Taxonomy in a new perspective, 2010, Current science 99(11):1530-1541
- Cowan RS, Chase MW, Kress WJ, Savolainen V. 2006. 300,000 species to identify problems, progress, and prospects in DNA barcoding of land plants. Taxon 55: 611–616.
- Chen S, Yao H, Han J et al (2011) Validation of the ITS2 region as a novel DNA barcode for identifying medicinal plant species. PLoS One 5:e8613.
- Kress WJ, Erickson DL, Jones FA (2009) Plant DNA barcodes and a community phylogeny of a tropical forest dynamics plot in Panama. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18621–18626.
- Lodge, D.J., Fisher, P.J., Sutton, B.C. (1996). Endophytic fungi of Manilkara bidentata leaves in Puerto Rico. Mycologia 88:733–738.
- Zhang Y, Schoch CL, Fournier J, et al. Multi-locus phylogeny of Pleosporales: a taxonomic, ecological and evolutionary re-evaluation. Stud Mycol. 2009;64:85-102S5. doi:10.3114/sim.2009.64.04
- Sette, L.D., Passarini, M.R.Z., Delarmelina, C., Salati, F. and Duarte, M.C.T. (2006). Molecular characterization and antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi from coffee plants. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 22: 1185-1195.
- Beever R.E. and Weeds, P.L. (2004). Taxonomy and genetic variation of Botrytis and Botryotinia. pp. 29-52 In: Elad, Y., Williamson, B., Tudzynski, P. and Delen, N.(eds). Botrytis, Biology, Pathology and Controls. Kluwer Academic Publisher. Netherland.
- Corrêa, R., Rhoden, S., Mota, T., Azevedo, J., Pamphile, J., & de Souza, C. et al. (2014). Endophytic fungi: expanding the arsenal of industrial enzyme producers. Journal Of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, 41(10), 1467-1478. doi: 10.1007/s10295-014-1496-2
- Uzma, F., Konappa, N., & Chowdappa, S. (2016). Diversity and extracellular enzyme activities of fungal endophytes isolated from medicinal plants of Western Ghats, Karnataka. Egyptian Journal Of Basic And Applied Sciences, 3(4), 335-342. doi: 10.1016/j.ejbas.2016.08.007
- Knowlton, N. (1993) Sibling species in the sea. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24, 189–216
- Dicosimo R, McAuliffe J, Poulose AJ, Bohlmann G (2013) Industrial use of immobilized enzymes. Chem Soc Rev 42:6437–6474