Author : Aljazeera.K.R 1
Date of Publication :20th July 2016
Abstract: Existing cryptographic algorithms were designed to meet the needs of the desktop computing era and thus require significant resources to implement. Now a day’s most of the devices available in the market are resource constrained. Here lightweight cryptography plays a pivotal role. It lends itself to implementation as a block cipher providing a scalable, pipelined architecture. Most importantly, lightweight block ciphers can be implemented with low latency making them ideal for applications in which deterministic performance is required. In this project a detailed study of L Block block cipher is done which is a lightweight cipher in both hardware and 8-bit platforms and an IP core is developed after its implementation. The block size of L Block is 64-bit and the key size is 80-bit and it can achieve competitive hardware and software performances when compared with other known lightweight block ciphers. . L Block cipher is implemented on Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA (XC6LX16-CS324) and its performance metrics were obtained. It can serve as a benchmark for the hardware design engineers to model devices that utilizes lightweight characteristics
- Wenling Wu, Lei Zhang “L Block: A Lightweight Block Cipher” Springer, 2011.
- Bassam J.Mohd, Thaier Hayajneh, Athanasios V.Vasilakos, “A survey of lightweight block ciphers for lowresource devices-Comparative studies and open issues,” Journal of Network and Computer Application “, September 2015.
- Mickael Cazorla, Kevin Marquet and Marine Minier, “Survey and Benchmark of Lightweight Block Ciphers for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Security and Communication Networks, Volume 8, Issue 18, pages 3564–3579, December 2015.
- Sufyan Salim Mahmood AlDabbagh ,Imad Fakhri Taha Al Shaikhli, “Improving the Security of L Block Lightweight Algorithm using Bit Permutation,” IEEE , Dec 2013 DOI:10.1109/ACSAT.2013.65
- Hideki Yoshikawa, Masahiro Kaminaga, Arimitsu Shikoda, Toshinori Suzuki, “Secret Key Reconstruction Method using Round Addition DFA on Lightweight Block Cipher L Block,” IEEE, Oct 2014, pp.493 – 496.
- Jinyong Shan1, Lei Hu1, and Siwei Sun, “Security of L Block-s against Related-Key Differential Attack,” IEEE, Feb. 2015, pp 1278 – 1283.
- Panasayya Yalla and Jens-Peter Kaps, “Lightweight Cryptographys for FPGA,” International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing and FPGAs, IEEE, Dec 2009, pp. 225–230