Author : Zulfiqar Ahmed M.N 1
Date of Publication :29th March 2018
Abstract: α-Fe2O3 nanopowder was prepared by solution combustion synthesis using ferric nitrate as oxidiser and oxalyldihydrazide (ODH) as fuel. The characterization of the nanopowder was done by powder X-ray diffraction (PXRD), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The potential of the nanopowder in the adsorption of Acid Red 97 dye was carried out at room temperature. The effect of parameters such as the adsorbent dosage, contact time and initial dye concentration was studied. Isotherm and kinetic studies were employed to analyze the adsorption data. The nanopowder was effective in removal of 20 ppm dye solution. The adsorption efficiency decreased as the initial concentration of the dye solution increased. The adsorption followed pseudo-first order kinetics and obeyed Dubinin-Radushkevich and Temkin adsorption isotherms.
- M.M. Hassan, M.Z. Alam, and M.N. Anwar, “Biodegradation of textile azo dyes by bacteria isolated from dyeing industry effluent”, International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 27-31, August 2013.
- N. Daneshvar, S. Aber, and F. Hosseinzadeh, “Study of C.I. Acid Orange 7 removal in contaminated water by photo oxidation processes”, Global NEST Journal, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 16-23, 2008
- M.H. Khedr, K.S. Abdel Halim, and N.K. Soliman, “Synthesis and photocatalytic activity of nano-sized iron oxides”, Materials Letters vol. 63, pp. 598-601, 2009
- Sushmita Banerjee and M.C. Chattopadhyaya, “Adsorption characteristics for the removal of a toxic dye, tartrazine from aqueous solutions”, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 10, pp. S1629-S1638, 2017 .
- A.R. Rahmani, M. Zarrabi, M.R. Samarghandi, A. Afkhami, and H. R. Ghaffari, “Degradation of azo dye Reactive Black 5 and Acid Orange 7 by Fenton-like mechanism”, Iranian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 87-94, Winter 2010.
- R.S. Raveendra, P.A. Prashanth, R. Hari Krishna, N.P. Bhagya, B.M. Nagabhushana, H. Raja Naika, K. Lingaraju, H. Nagabhushana, and B. Daruka Prasad, “Synthesis, structural characterization of nano ZnTiO3 ceramic: An effective azo dye adsorbent and antibacterial agent”, Journal of Asian Ceramic Societies, vol. 2, pp. 357–365, 2014.
- A.R. Khataee, M. Safarpour, A. Naseri, and M. Zarei, “Photoelectro-Fenton/nanophotocatalysis decolorization of three textile dyes mixture: Response surface modeling and multivariate calibration procedure for simultaneous determination”, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 672, 53–62, 2012.