Author : B. Prabhakar Reddy 1
Date of Publication :14th March 2018
Abstract: The numerical investigation of the effects of radiation and Hall current on an unsteady MHD flow of viscous incompressible electrically conducting fluid past an impulsively started oscillating vertical plate with variable temperature and mass diffusion has been carried out. The fluid is considered a grey, absorbing-emitting radiation but non-scattering medium. The dimensionless governing coupled partial differential equations are solved numerically by using Ritz finite element method. The influence of material parameters such as Prandtl number, Schmidt number, radiation parameter, magnetic parameter, Hall parameter, thermal and mass Grashof numbers and phase angle on the primary and secondary velocity fields, temperature and the concentration distributions are presented with the help of graphs. It has been found that an increase in the radiation parameter there is a fall in the temperature, primary and secondary velocity profiles. An increase in the value of magnetic parameter leads to decrease in the primary velocity and increase the secondary velocity. The primary and secondary velocity fields are increased when the Hall parameter increased. Further, an increase in the thermal and mass Grashof numbers increases the primary and secondary velocity fields.
- R. Muthucumaraswamy and B. Janakiraman, “MHD and radiation effects on moving isothermal vertical plate with variable mass diffusion”, Theoret. Appl. Mech, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 17-29, (2006).
- R. Muthucumaraswamy and S. Meenakshisundaram, “Theoritical study of chemical reaction effects on vertical oscillating plate with variable temperature”, Theoret. J. Appl. Mech, Vol. 33, pp. 245-257, (2006).
- B. K. Sharma, A.K Jha and R.C. Chaudhary, “Hall effect on MHD mixed convective flow of a viscous incompressible fluid past a vertical porous plate, immersed in a porous medium with heat source/sink”, Rom. J. Phys, Vol.52, (5-7), pp. 487- 503, (2007).
- P. Chandrakala and S. Antony Raj, “Radiation effects on MHD flow past an impulsively started infinite isothermal vertical plate”, Indian J. Chemical Tech, Vol.15, pp.63-67, (2008).
- R.K. Deka, “Hall effects on MHD flow past an accelerated plate”, Theoretical and applied Mechanics, Vol. 35(4), pp.333-346, (2008)
- K. Srihari, N. Kishan and J. Ananad Rao, “Hall effect on MHD flow and heat transfer along a porous plate with mass transfer and source/sink”, J. Energy, heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 30, pp. 361 – 376, (2008)