Author : Dr. Shelmi Antony 1
Date of Publication :10th November 2018
Abstract: Our previous studies have reported the allelopathic potential of Nyctanthes arbor – tristis leaves (Antony S. and P.J. Benny, 2017) and isolated a semi-purified fraction MN F10 with very significant allelopathic activity (Antony S. et al., 2018). Different concentrations of MN F10 were used to determine its allelopathic potential in relation to the cell division and root growth of Allium cepa L. The allelochemical present in this fraction induced a considerable reduction in growth and cell division of roots of the treated onions. The mitotic index was also found to be very low. The results revealed the mechanism of action of allelochemical present in Nyctanthes arbor –tristis, which necessitates further studies to test its allelopathic effect under field condition and efficacy in the soil
- Antony S. and Benny P.J., “Allelopathic effect of Nyctanthes arbor – tristis L. on seed germination “, International Journal of advances in science, engineering and technology, 5, 66-68, 2017.
- Antony S. and Benny P.J.and Sunny Kuriakose, “Allelopathic potential of purified fraction MN F10 from Nyctanthes arbor – tristis L. was reported by assessing its ability to inhibit early growth and seedling characteristics of Vigna radiata (L) Wilzcek“, International Journal of science, engineering and management, 3, 4-8,2018.
- S. Narwal, R.Palaniraj and S.C. Sati, “Role of allelopathy incrop production”, Herbologia , 6,1- 73,2005.
- RH. Whittaker and PP. Feeney, “Allelochemical interaction between species” Science,171, 757-770, 1971.
- M. Yarnia, M.K.Benam, and E.F.M. Tabrizi, “Allelopathic effects of sorghum extracts on Amaranthus retroflexus seed germination and growth”,Journal of Food Agriculture and Environment,7, 770-774, 2009.
- C. Rani, S. Chawla, M. Mangal, A. K. Mangal, S. Kajla, and A.K. Dhawan, “Nyctanthes arbor-tristis Linn.(Night Jasmine): A sacred ornamental plantwith immense medicinal potentials”, Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, 11, 427-435, 2012.
- N.R. Thangavelu, and S.Thomas, “In vitro antioxidant studies on ethanolicextract of leaves and stems of Nyctanthes arbor-tristis Linn.”, (NightFlowering Jasmine), International Journal of Biological & Medical Research,1, 188-192, 2010.
- T. Devasagayam, and K. Sainis,”Immune system and antioxidants, especially those derived from Indian medicinal plants”, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 40, 639-655, 2002.