Author : Dr. S. Senthilkumar 1
Date of Publication :16th May 2019
Abstract: Efficient dissemination of technological information from the research system to farmers and reporting of farmers’ feedback is one of the critical inputs in transfer of technology. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is one of the means whose potential can be exploited to strengthen the bridge between research system and farming system. Hence, the present study has focused to identify and prioritize the information needs of small ruminant farmers to develop mobile based application software. Data were collected from 40 researchers of Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, 60 extension personnel of the State Animal Husbandry Department and 100 small ruminant farmers of Tirunelveli Districts by well structured interview schedule which contains 48 items under five sub-heads. The responses for each item were measured on a five point continuum i.e., most needed, more needed, needed, less needed and least needed. The mean was calculated and the item above the mean i.e 24 items were considered as the identified needs that include topics on breed & breeding (three), feeding (five), management (five), disease control (six) and marketing (five). Based on the needs identified and prioritized, the content were organised, script prepared both in Tamil and English languages, video clipping, photos collected and mobile based application software is being developed in android platform
- 19th Livestock Census. 2012. Department of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries, Government of India.
- P.R.Nisha, 2008. Development of an „IT‟ enabled need based dairy advisory syste.m. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Patel B Vimal, Rahul G. Thakkar and Hardikkumar V. Desai. 2014. An Android application for farmers for Kharif and Rabi crop diseases information. International Journal of advanced research in computer science and software engineering 4 (10) : 788 - 791
- Van den ban, A.W. 1983. Studying Agricultural Knowledge and Information Systems for improving Agricultural Extension. Indian Journal of Extension education, 29 (1 &2) : 76 – 83.
- M. Vetriselvan, 2000. Agricultural Training for Groundnut Cultivators – An Experimental Study. Unpublished Ph.D., Thesis, Annamalai University, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India.