Author : Lovish Raheja 1
Date of Publication :13th November 2019
Abstract: Power Electronics (PE) deals with the conversion and control of electric power in different energy systems. The PE topologies are found as a better option as compared to the mechanical techniques used earlier for Renewable Energy Systems (RES) due to the flexibility, sensitivity, bi-directional power flow control, fast switching capabilities and other important characteristics. This paper mainly reviews the current PE topological approaches used for the generation, transmission and distribution part. Generators used between generation and transmission part are mainly classified into Synchronous, Induction and Doubly-fed Induction Generators (DFIG). For the sustained and continuous output from these generators various control techniques (Scalar, Vector, and Matrix Controller) are used. For the distribution part grid integration techniques which include grid synchronization, control and microgrid are discussed in the paper. Further, the paper reviews the most recently proposed advancements for the development of these techniques. As a result, the study finds the issues and challenges in the modern PE systems and a future pathway is conceptualized
- . Mohan, T.M. Undeland, Power Electronics: Converters, Applications, and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
- Krishna Kumar Gupta, Pallavee Bhatnagar, Chapter 1 - Basics of Inverters, Editor(s): Krishna Kumar Gupta, Pallavee Bhatnagar, Multilevel Inverters, Academic Press, 2018, Pages 1-20, ISBN 9780128124482.
- Henrik Lund, Chapter 1 - Introduction, Editor(s): Henrik Lund, Renewable Energy Systems (Second Edition), Academic Press, 2014, Pages 1-14, ISBN 9780124104235.
- U. Shahzad, The Need for Renewable Energy Sources. International Journal of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, 2015 Chapter 4, 16-19.
- Majd Ghazi Yousef Batarseh, 2 - Components of electric energy systems, Editor(s): Muhammad H. Rashid, Electric Renewable Energy Systems, Academic Press, 2016, Pages 21-39, ISBN 9780128044483.
- R. Raja Singh, Thanga Raj Chelliah, Pramod Agarwal, Power electronics in hydro electric energy systems: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 32, 2014, Pages 944-959, ISSN 1364-0321, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.01.041.
- D.-C. Phan, S. Yamamoto, Maximum Energy Output of a DFIG Wind Turbine Using an Improved MPPTCurve Method, Energies. 8 (2015) 11718–11736.
- N. Phung Quang, J. A. Dittrich, Vector Control of Three-Phase AC Machines: System Development in the Practice, Power Systems, 2015, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, ISBN 978-3-662-46914-9.
- Hassan Abniki, Mahmood Abolhasani, Mohammad Ehsan Kargahi, Vector Control Analysis of DoublyFed Induction Generator in Wind Farms, Energy and Power 2013, 3(2): 18-25.
- hi and L. Xu, "Direct Power Control of DFIG With Constant Switching Frequency and Improved Transient Performance," in IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 110-118, March 2007.