Author : Krishna Kumar Saini 1
Date of Publication :20th November 2019
Abstract: Non-linear properties of magnetic cores constructed from ferromagnetic material or its alloy have found very attractive use in pulsed power systems such as radar, laser, high power microwaves and particle accelerators etc. A saturating inductor made from such magnetic material regulates the power flow in these pulsed power systems by modulation of line reactance. The line reactance in turn can be controlled electrically through appropriate switching current by altering the core material magnetization of the inductor. This paper presents the study on the characteristics of magnetic material, its designing criteria and application towards efficient pulsed power flow by means of repetitive switching at high voltage/ high current ratings
- G.D. Wait and M.J. Barnes, “Thyratron Lifetimes, a Brief Review”, 2nd Modulator Klystron Workshop for Future Linear Collider, SLAC, Standford University, Oct 9-11, 1995
- Xupeng Chen, Jeffrey de Lamare, “Life Review and Development of Thyratron in Linac Coherent Light Source”, SLAC-PUB-17262, 2018, Web.
- K. Frank, B-J Lee, I. Petzenhauser, & H. Rahaman, “Does gas-filled switches still have a future?”, IEEE Int. Pulsed Power Conference, pp. 432-437, 17-22 June, 2007.
- V. Pathania, D.K. Pal, B.L. Meena, N. Kumar, U.N. Pal, R. Prakash, and H. Rahaman, “Switching Behavior of a Double Gap Pseudospark Discharge”, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 3299-3304, Dec 2015.
- L. Ducimetiere, D.C. Fiander, “Commutation Losses of a Multigap High Voltage Thyratron”, IEEE Conference of Power Modulator Symposium, San Diego, pp. 3162-3164, 26-28 June, 1990.
- S. E. Ball, T. R. Burkes, “Saturable Inductors as High Power Switches”, IEEE Pulsed Power Conference, pp. 269-272, 1-3 June, 1981.
- Weidong Ding, Saikang Shen, Jiaqi Yan, Yanan Wang, and Bo Wang, “Discharge Characteristics of a Pseudopsak Switch in Series With a Saturable Inductor”, IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 47, No. 10, pp. 4572-4578, Oct 2019.
- M. A Goldman and J. E. Tuozzolo, “Observation of Induced Electrical Conductivity of Kicker Magnet Ferrites, After Vacuum Firing”, Booster Technical Note no. 183, 1990.
- B. D. Cullity and C. D. Graham, “Introduction to Magnetic Materials”, A John Wiley & Sons, Inc., IEEE Press, 2nd edition, 2009