Author : Soibam Sangeeta 1
Date of Publication :9th October 2021
Abstract: novel bio – adsorbent Lagenaria siceraria, chemically activated was prepared for the removal of chromium ions from aqueous solutions. Structure, morphology and pore size distributions were studied using SEM, EDAX and BET. The adsorption kinetics (Intra – particle diffusion, pseudo 1st order and 2nd order) and isotherms (Langmuir and Freundlich models) were used to analyse the adsorption capacities of chromium ions on the adsorbent surfaces at optimum pH, dose and contact time of 3, 4 g/L and 120 min respectively. The studied experimental data confirms that pseudo 2nd order kinetics fits best with a correlation coefficient (R2) of 0.99 but agrees well with both the Langmuir and Freundlich isotherms with correlation coefficients (R2) of 0.96 and 0.94 respectively. The maximum adsorption capacity attained was 6.325 mg/g with a maximum percentage removal of 86%.
- R. C. Pradhan, A. S. Patel and S. Mishra, “ Physico-chemical Properties of Bottle Gourd Kernel”, Journal of Agricultural Engineering, Vol. 52(4), pp 23-29, December, 2015.
- V. Nejadshafiee and M. R. Islami,” Adsorption capacity of heavy metal ions using sultone modified magnetic activated carbon as a bio adsorbent”, Material Science and Engineering, Vol C, pp 1-12, March 2019.
- W. Cherdchoo, S. Nithettham and J. Charoenpanich,” Removal of Cr(VI) from synthetic wastewater by adsorption onto coffee ground and mixed waste tea”, Chemosphere, January 2019.
- S. Gogoi, S. Chakraorty and M. D. Saikia,” Surface modified pineapple crown leaf for adsorption of Cr(VI) and Cr(III) ions from aqueous solution”, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Vol. 6(2), pp. 2492-2501, April 2018.
- A. A. Edathil, I. Shittu, J. H. Zain, F. Banat, M. A. Haija,”Novel magnetic coffee waste nanocomposite as effective bioadsorbent for Pb(II) removal from aqueous solutions”, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, Vol. 6(2), pp. 2390-2400, April 2018.
- S. Sujatha and R. S. Mohan,” A critical review of Cr(VI) ion effect on mankind and its amputation through adsorption by activated carbon”, Materials today proceedings, Vol. 37(2), pp. 1158-1162, April 2021.
- S. Sangeeta and P. A. Kumar, “Efficacy of bio-carbon mediated chromium absorption from contaminated groundwater: A kinetic approach”, Journal of Indian Chemical Society, vol. 10(b), pp. 1-4, October, 2020