Author : Mr. Khaja Moinuddin 1
Date of Publication :22nd November 2021
Abstract: The source of the infections in operating or patient rooms in hospitals can be difficult to identify, as patients, visitors, and physical objects can be transfer agents. Therefore, a comprehensive disinfection is necessary to minimize the risk of transmission and infection. If sanitization is done by human there is possibility that a person might get infected. Hence an Ultraviolet (UV) sterilization technology, along with sprayer, is used to aid in reduction of micro-organisms that may remain on the surfaces after a standard cleaning to the minimum number. Disinfectant Robot is used to sanitize an operating or a patient room and has UV lamps mounted on top of the robot platform covering 180° direction. The robot also has sprayers placed at the front end. The disinfectant robot is employed by an embedded system based on a Arduino UNO to aid in navigation to avoid obstacles.
- A.M. Spagnolo, G. Ottria, D. Amicizia, F. Perdelli, andM.L. Cristin, “Operating theatre quality and prevention of surgical site infections”, Journal of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene, 54(3), 2013, pp.131–137.
- Ottawa (ON): “Non-Manual Room Disinfection Techniques for Infection Prevention in Healthcare Facilities: A Review of the Clinical Effectiveness, CostEffectiveness, and Guidelines”, Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2015 May 27. (CADTH Rapid Response Reports. PMID: 26985525 Bookshelf ID: NBK349855)
- D. J Anderson, L. F Chen, D. J Weber, R. W Moehring,S. S Lewis, P. F Triplett, , et al. “Enhanced terminal room disinfection and acquisition and infection caused by multidrug-resistant organisms and Clostridium difficile (the Benefits of Enhanced Terminal Room Disinfection study): a cluster-randomised, multicentre, crossover study”, Journal of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene, 2017, pp.805–814.
- Curcio Katharine. “Robots: the future of cleaning?”, Services Magazine, 2020 April 15
- Zeashan Hameed Khan, Afifa Siddique and Chang Won Lee. “Robotics Utilization for Healthcare Digitization in Global COVID-19 Management”, Int J Environ Res Public Health 2020 Jun; 17(11): 3819. Published online 2020 May 28. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17113819.
- Yang J, Wu U, Tai H, Sheng W. “Effectiveness of an ultraviolet-C disinfection system for reduction of healthcare-associated pathogens”, J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2019 Jun;52(3):487-493 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline].