Author : Sahla Mumthaz PM 1
Date of Publication :14th May 2022
Abstract: This study aims to find out emotional intelligence and its relationship with marital adjustment among parents of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and how the child's level of ADHD is affecting parent’s emotional intelligence and marital adjustment. Parents completed a range of questionnaires in Kerala-wide study of 30 parents of children with ADHD. The relationship between emotional intelligence and marital adjustment and child level of ADHD were tested using correlational method. A positive correlation was found between emotional intelligence and marital adjustment among the parents and there was no effect of child’s level of ADHD on parent’s level of emotional intelligence and marital adjustment.
- Angelica, R., Craig, P., & Andrew, W. (2011). Prenatal Maternal Stress Associated with ADHD and Autistic Traits in early Childhood. Frontiers in Psychology, 1.223.
- Finzi-Dottan, Ricky & Triwitz, Yael & Golubchik, Pavel. (2011). Predictors of stress-related growth in parents of children with ADHD. Research in developmental disabilities, 32, 510-9.
- Jogsan, Y.A. (2013). Emotional Maturity and Adjustment in ADHD Children. Journal of Psychology and Psychotherapy. 3, 114.
- Johnson, C.A. (2017). The relationship ADHD and emotion regulation and its effect on parenting stress. College of Arts and Sciences Senior Honors Theses. 144.
- Kashdan, T.B., Jacob, R.G., Pelham, W.E., Lang, A.R., Hoza, B., Blumenthal, J.D., Gnagy, E.M. (2010). Depression and Anxiety in Parents of Children with ADHD and Varying Levels of Oppositional Defiant Behaviors: Modeling Relationships with Family Functioning.
- Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology. 33(1), 169-181.
- Kendall, J., Leo, M.C., Perrin, N., & Hatton, D. (2005). Modeling ADHD Child and Family Relationships. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 27(4), 500-518.
- Karadeniz, G., Balkan, I., Gazioglu, N., Elmas, E., Eyrenci, A., & Tug, S. (2015). Marital Adjustment among Parents of Children with Developmental Disabilities. Research Gate.
- Kvist, A.P., Nielson, H.S., & Simonsen, M. (2011). The effects of children's ADHD on parents' relationship dissolution and labor supply. IZA. 6092
- Kvist, A.P., Nielson, H.S., & Simonsen, M. (2013). The importance of children's ADHD for parents' relationship stability and labor supply. 88, 30-38.
- Leitch, S., Scriberras, E., Post, B., Gerner, B., Rinehart, N., Nicholson, J.M., & Evans, S. (2019). Experience of stress in parents of children with ADHD: A qualitative study. International journal of qualitative studies on health and well-being, (14), 1690091.
- Lowe, V.M., Danforth, J.S., & Brooks, D. (2008). ADHD: Does parenting style matter. Sage Journal Author Gateway, 47(9), 865- 872
- Mikami, A.Y., Chong, G.K., Saporito, J.M., & Na, J.J. (2014). Implications of parental affiliate stigma in families of children with ADHD. Journal of clinical child and adolescent psychology, 44(4), 595-603.
- Mikami, A.Y., Jack, A., Emeh, C.C., & Stephens, H.F. (2010). Parental influence on children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: 1. Relationships between parent behaviors and child peer status. Journal of abnormal child psychology, 88, 721-736.
- Rodriguez, A. and Bohlin, G. (2005), Are maternal smoking and stress during pregnancy related to ADHD symptoms in children?. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 46: 246- 254.
- Robinson, M., Neece, C.L. (2015). Marital Satisfaction, Parental Stress, and Child Behavior Problems among Parents of Young Children with Developmental Delays. Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 8(1), 23-46.
- Silva, A.M., Urbano, R.L., Garcia, M.S., & Marquez, J.L. (2017). Child/ Adolescent's ADHD & parenting stress: The mediating role of family impact and conduct problems. Frontiers in psychology, 8, 2252.
- Stoneman, Z., Payne, S.G., Floyd, F., & Retard, A.M. (2006). Marital Adjustment in Families of Young Children With Disabilities: Associations With Daily Hassles and Problem Focused Coping. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 111(1), 1-14.
- Teixeria, M.C., Marino, R.L., & Carreiro, L.R. (2015). Association between inadequate parenting practices and behavioral problems in children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The Scientific World Journal.
- Theule, J., Wiener, J., Tannock, R., & Jenkins, J.M. (2010). Parenting stress in families of children with ADHD: A meta analysis. Journal of emotional and behavioral disorders, 21(1), 3-17.
- Theule, J., Wiener, J., Rogers, M.A., & Marton, I. (2011). Predicting Parenting Stress in Families of Children with ADHD: Parent and Contextual Factors. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 20, 640–647.