Author : Divyaansh Verma 1
Date of Publication :1st October 2022
Abstract: Asset selection involves picking up a particular asset within each asset class in such a manner that it would outperform the rest of the assets to maximize the investor’s goal of increasing value while mitigating risk. This paper aims to implement a widely used “multi-criteria decision making (MCDM)” technique known as Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) for best asset selection. In AHP, the qualitative problems are described and transformed quantitatively, and then the quantitative analysis is used to find the relationship among various decision criteria. In this study, ethical and suitability criteria are used along with the financial criteria to rank the assets based on individual investors’ preferences. To demonstrate the efficacy of the problem, a hypothetical data set is used for ethical and suitability criteria, and data set of 10 assets of Nifty 50 companies under the National Stock Exchange (NSE) is collected for financial criteria.
- H. Markowitz, ―Portfolio selection,‖ Journal of Finance, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 77-91, March 1952.
- M. Ehrgott, K. Klamroth, and C. Schwehm, ―An MCDM approach to portfolio optimization,‖ European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 155, no. 3, 752-770, June 2004.
- Y. Fang, K. K. Lai, and S. Y. Wang, ―Portfolio rebalancing model with transaction costs based on fuzzy decision theory,‖ European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 879-893, Dec. 2006.
- P. Gupta, M. K. Mehlawat, and A. Saxena, ―Asset portfolio optimization using fuzzy mathematical programming,‖ Information Sciences, vol. 178, no. 6, pp. 1734-1755, March 2008.
- P. Gupta, M. K. Mehlawat, and A. Saxena, ―Hybrid optimization models of portfolio selection involving financial and ethical considerations,‖ Knowledge-Based Systems, vol. 37, pp. 318-337, Jan. 2013.
- A. Bilbao-Terol, M. Arenas-Parra, V. Cañal-Fernández, and C. Bilbao-Terol, ―Multi-criteria decision making for choosing socially responsible investment within a behavioral portfolio theory framework: A new way of investing into a crisis environment,‖ Annals of Operations Research, vol. 247, no. 2, pp. 549-580, Dec. 2016.
- F. García, J. González-Bueno, J. Oliver, and N. Riley, ―Selecting socially responsible portfolios: A fuzzy multicriteria approach,‖ Sustainability, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 2496, Apr. 2019.
- P. Gupta, M. K. Mehlawat, and A. Saxena, ―A hybrid approach to asset allocation with simultaneous consideration of suitability and optimality,‖ Information Sciences, vol. 180, no. 11, pp. 2264-2285, Jun. 2010.
- S. V. Le, Asset allocation: an application of the analytic hierarchy process, Journal of Business & Economics Research, vol. 6, no. 9, Sep. 2008.
- D. J. F. Jeng and K. H. Huang, ―Strategic project portfolio selection for national research institutes,‖ Journal of Business Research, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 2305-2311, Nov. 2015.
- A. Motameni and A. Sharifi Salim, ―Propounding a Model for Portfolio Selection in Stock Exchange by Using of MCDM (Case Study: 50 Better Companies),‖ Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 2(1, Spring 2012), pp. 73-89, May 2012.
- T. L. Saaty, ―A scaling method for priorities in hierarchical structures,‖ Journal of Mathematical Psychology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 234-281, Jun. 1977.
- T. L. Saaty, ―Multicriteria decision making: the analytic hierarchy process: planning, priority setting resource allocation,‖ July 1990.
- F. Tiryaki and B. Ahlatcioglu, ―Fuzzy portfolio selection using fuzzy analytic hierarchy process,‖ Information Sciences, vol. 179, no. 1-2, pp. 53-69, Jan. 2009.
- R. E. Steuer and P. Na, ―Multiple criteria decision making combined with finance: A categorized bibliographic study,‖ European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 496-515, Nov. 2003
- T. L. Saaty, P. C. Rogers, and R. Pell, ―Portfolio selection through hierarchies,‖ The Journal of Portfolio Management, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 16-21, Spring 1990.
- K. Zhao, Y. Dai, Y., Ji, and Z. Jia, Z, ―Decision making model to portfolio selection using Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) with expert knowledge,‖ IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 76875-76893, May 2021.
- M. Yurdakul and Y. T. İç, ―AHP approach in the credit evaluation of the manufacturing firms in Turkey,‖ International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 269-289, April 2004.
- A. Arbel and Y. E. Orgler, ―An application of the AHP to bank strategic planning: The mergers and acquisitions process,‖ European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 27-37, Sep. 1990.
- M. M. Tarimcilar and S. Z. Khaksari, ―Capital budgeting in hospital management using the analytic hierarchy process,‖ Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, vol. 25, no.1, pp. 27-34, Jan. 1991.
- S. Verma, M. K. Mehlawat, ―Multi-criteria optimization model integrated with AHP for evaluation and selection of COTS components,‖ Optimization, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 1879-94, Nov. 2017.
- T. L. Saaty, ―Fundamentals of decision making and priority theory with the analytic hierarchy process,‖ Second Edition RWS Publications, Pittsburg, PA, 2000